Tuesday, December 05, 2006

thundering pack animals storm Toronto

"...but the high-faluting esoteric philosophical stuff is just the springboard of false messiahs and preachers. You just can't get coherent information from our current perspective, and what's even more damning is the prevarications of these so-called mystical dilettantes who cream themselves on the tales of the impossible. I can't talk about anyone else's experiences: I'd much prefer to be small and fervently dull but all of this assorted material just turns up on my doorstop and much as I'd like to just remain in my little hovel I have to deal with it: and I've already got a full plate of issues of my own to cope with or to pretend to cope with. Now, for a moment, just setting aside my own psychological disorientation for one damn moment: there all these johnny and jane-come-latelies just proudly claiming some kind of metaphysical superiority when A. it's not clear how the culture wars are going to progress, B. nobody really wants to get stuck in the crossfire, C. anyone not making major philosophical or quasi-philosophical mazes for themselves and just doing interesting things is stuck explaining their mental objects to fashion-oriented brain dead rockstars, and D. the most interesting things are lost in a primate authority hierarchy maze of damning exotic states of mind..."

"...but every doomsday cult since the beginning of timekeeping has announced some kind of day in which everything changes in cataclysmic and apocalyptic magnitudes: an end of the world, an end of time and so on and so forth. None of their predictions came true, and their principal product was many disillusioned believers. So sell me on the singularity or sell me on science: I'm going to cautiously say that 'things, they aren't going to change', until I see it..."

"Regrettably it's a thorny puzzle. Nobody can extract any kind of information from the completely unstructured without filtering their recovery through their perspective. Then they'll try to sell you something. If you buy it, then you'll sell it to someone else. This is how religions get started. Ranting, raving people usually have this one important point which completely eludes the comprehension of rational people, and by the point that said ranting and raving people have been suitably classified and the ordinary world protected from exposure to them, the effects of that one thing which has caught their attention become scraggles on pieces of paper, and those who could actually elicit some kind of proper and holistic interpretation of their experience are usually in wide separation from those who have such experiences. It seems to me that you can't have your cake and eat it too. I don't know: I may herald from a too-depressing viewpoint"

No comments: